I am not much of a baker. I have tried my hand at bread loads of times, and have failed miserably. My cake baking has faired slightly better, but I’m not a big fan of cakes so don’t make them very often.
However, a friend of mine had a baby boy this week and I wanted to bring her a treat for the hospital. I bucked the trend, and made cakes with pink icing, because they were for her and not her gorgeous new arrival (he had plenty of other presents). I think they came out pretty well. The tartness of the raspberries compliments the sweet coconut and icing nicely. I used butter icing this time, but think cream cheese icing could be even better for a future attempt!
Raspberry and Coconut Cupcakes
- 175g self-raising flour (or 175g plain flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder and a pinch of salt)
- 125g caster sugar
- 50g dessicated coconut
- 140g butter
- 15g vanilla sugar (or half teaspoon vanilla essence)
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp. milk
- 140g fresh raspberries
- 260g icing sugar
- 85g softened butter (room temperature)
- 4 tbsp. homemade raspberry coulis*
- dessicated coconut to decorate
- Heat oven to 190°C/170° Fan/Gas 5
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with cases
- Beat all of the ‘Cupcake’ ingredients together (except the raspberries) until light and fluffy – 1 to 2 minutes
- Gently fold in the raspberries
- Divide the mixture evenly between the cases
- Cook in the oven for 18-20 minutes until golden brown and firm to touch
- Beat together the icing sugar, butter and raspberry coulis until light and fluffy
- Pipe icing onto the buns and sprinkle on some dessicated coconut
- They should keep in a cool place for at least 2 days
I don’t add any sugar to my coulis at the beginning. It may be added later if necessary.
Makes 4 tbsp.
- 125g raspberries (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- Put the raspberries in a blender or food processor
- Pour into a sieve over a bowl (fine mesh)
- Press the pulp through the sieve using a metal spoon (It can take a while to get all the juice out)
- You should be left with thick, raspberry coulis and a sieve full of raspberry seeds!