Inspired by my good friend ‘Brown-Haired Rachel’ (not to be confused with ‘Eyelashes Rachel’), I whipped up a batch of Limoncello this afternoon. It should be ready to drink in a few weeks, but will be even better by summer. I will be having it drizzled over sorbet, while lounging elegantly on my balcony, with my butler mopping my brow. This is a Ballymaloe recipe…
makes 1.4 litres of boozy goodness
- 5 unwaxed, organic lemons
- 450ml vodka
- 400g sugar
- 450ml water
- Use a potato peeler to remove the rind from all five lemons and then put the rind in a sterilised jar. Add the vodka (see picture).
- Leave for 8 days in the sun (or longer if not in the sun).
- 8 days later… Put the sugar and water in a pan. Bring to the boil and stir to dissolve the sugar. Simmer for 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Strain the lemon-flavoured vodka.
- Pour back in the jar and add the cooled sugar syrup.
- Mix well and leave for 15 days before drinking. Keep it for months and it will taste even better!