I’ve been living in Switzerland for eight years now, and one thing I miss from home is the sea. Not just for the salty smell and bracing wind, but because if you brave the elements and get out in the Irish weather, you have earned a nice, greasy bag of fish and chips.
This is my attempt at recreating that dinner, without the deep-fat fryer or translucent newspaper. We bought all of the ingredients at the market in Oerlikon on March 12th.
Fancy Fish and Chips with Fresh Peas
For the chips:
- 330g floury potatoes
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
For the fish:
- 300 – 350g cod (or similar chunky white fish). Skin on or off is fine
- 150g breadcrumbs (I put hard bread in the food processor and freeze to use later)
- zest of half a lemon
- handful of parsley
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- a few cherry tomatoes (optional)
- salt and pepper
For the peas:
- 250g fresh peas (unpeeled weight)
- knob of butter
- salt and pepper
- tsp. water
- Set oven to fan 180°C (200°C Conventional/ Gas mark 6)
- Scrub the potatoes but don’t peel them
- Cut the potatoes into chunky, chip shapes. Lay them out on a baking tray and drizzle in olive oil followed by a generous sprinkle of salt. Rub them in the oil to try and have them evenly coated.
- Put the potatoes in the oven for 40 minutes (I usually shake them after 10 minutes so that they don’t stick to the tray)
- Meanwhile, mix together the breadcrumbs, lemon zest, parsley and seasoning. Put the fish in an oven-proof dish and cover with the breadcrumb mixture. Drizzle over the olive oil and put a few cherry tomatoes in the dish too, if you have them.
- The fish will need to go in the oven for the last 12-15 minutes of the potatoes cooking time.
- Prepare the peas by taking them out of their pods and putting them in a small saucepan. Fresh peas are so sweet and soft so hardly need any cooking.
- Add the water, butter and seasoning to the saucepan. These will only take about a few minutes to cook, so put them on just before serving the fish and chips. Cover with a lid, bring quickly to the boil, turn down the heat and steam for 2 minutes.
- Put everything on the plate, serve with homeade ketchup and enjoy!